[Magdalen] Oscar Meyer Closure.

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 22:57:15 UTC 2015

Yeah, well, Kraft-Heinz has just closed an Ontario factory in St.
Mary's, a town of 6,800,  costing 214 jobs. They had bottled Kraft salad
dressings there since the Fifties.
Heinz closed the Leamington factory after 100 yrs of ketchup making
there, 740 jobs lost in the spring.  These are modest towns in southwest
Ontario and the factories were dependent on the farms and the farms on
them.  Is there not a better way to do this?  Nothing good ever comes to
the grass roots from these mega-mergers.  It's all about bottom line and
global markets and nothing about the poor schnooks who have laboured to
make that profitability possible.

Marion, a pilgrim

On 11/7/2015 3:09 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote: I feel so bad for
my home State's Capital, Madison, Wisconsin. After 2/3rds of a century,
Kraft/Heinz is closing its Oscar Meyers headquarters and plant with
terrible loss of 1,000 jobs. The Oscar Meyer brand isn't going away,
however, but this is part of a widespread "restructuring" of
Kraft/Heinz, which has downsized thousands of workers in earlier
consolidations. What will Madison's East Side be like without the stench
of the slaughterhouse and meat packing odors apparent even through
closed car windows? Seriously, though, this is a terrible blow to
Madison, and the authorities there "did not see it coming." I'm reminded
of the impact of Grand Metropolitan when they purchased Pillsbury in
Minneapolis, and strode into that city like Mehmet II, Ottoman Sultan,
claiming all for himself.and Islam in 1453. The downtown skyscraper
headquarters of Pillsbury was Grand Metropolitan's Hagia Sophia, and
they strode into the building, immediately dismissing a thousand
Pillsbury executives. I pray for all the torn up lives and for the City
of Madison. You'd think trying to survive Gov. Walker would be enough
sadness for the next century. David Strang.