[Magdalen] An unusual event

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 11 23:22:06 UTC 2015

Tomorrow I am due to solemnize the marriage of Will and Suzy at the
church of the parish where I now live.  I did take a wedding in July
last year before Iretired but the one before that was December 2010.
For various reasons (historical and demographical) church weddings in
that parish were unusual.

I have known Will for a number of years and I think all who know him
would agree that his relationship with Suzy has been transformational.
There has been a new dimension to him since they met and we rejoice at
their relationship.  That said Lysander's observation in A Midsummer
Night's Dream that "The course of true love never did run smooth"
certainly apples to them.

The wedding was originally scheduled for September last year in
Somerset, Will's parents' home, but that was changed for some reason.
Instead they were going to visit Suzy's mother in Zimbabwe but then Will
went down with acure pancreatitis to an extent that was life-threatening
the week before they were due to fly out. Close.  They then decided they
wanted to marry in Bedford as they both live here now.

Because Will is now a director of a management buy-out company they
couldn't get a mortgage so they postponed the wedding to April 2016.
Then it was Suzy's turn to be seriously ill with ovarian cancer so the
wedding was brought forward.  Although the tumours grew rapidly between
CT scan and removal the histology says that the Stage 3A cancer is not
as aggressive as it might have been so chemo is being deferred for a
while to allow her to recover from the operation.

The one consistent factor in all of this is that they want me to
officiate, which gives me great pleasure.  Suzy has been married before
so it will also be the first wedding of a divorcee in that church and
her daughter Abigail will be the bridesmaid.  By coincidence Abigail is
also the first named storm to hit Great Britain and Ireland, and that is
due to happen tomorrow night a long way North of here.

The reading is from that beautifyl allegorical book, the Song of
Songs/Solomon. abridged to avoid offending the more sensitive of the
congregation.  The officiant may well use it as an evangelistic
opportunity in his homily.

I pray that I may do them proud officiating in a place I am unfamiliar
with and so don't really know the choreography to make it flow.

Roger