[Magdalen] Everett & my Doc.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 05:50:53 UTC 2015

I've concluded that it's all pretty simple. Sugar is the No 1 problem, and
No 2 is processed starch that quickly converts to sugar.

Amongst sugars, the worst offender is fructose and most especially High
Fructose Corn Syrup.

Fats, not so much though I'm avoiding anything with trans fat and cooking
with coconut and olive oil.

Behaviourally, I think it's our fear of being hungry even for a couple of
hours and our biologically programmed response to an abundance of
food...because we evolved as a species in a food scarce environment but few
of us have never lived in one. Even the very poor in industrialised
countries can have access to abundant (poor quality!) food...

Sorry dieticians...I respect their technical role with ill patients but
over the years, there's just been too much wrong advice to the general
public, and I've lost trust in conventional medicine or dietetics as a
guide to health and weight loss.

Yet, it is so worth it to stop the slide to unmanageable obesity if we can
- population wide and not just individuals. Go, Jamie Oliver!!

And Yay! for Everett, for taking charge of his health while he's stil young
enough to form new habits, and yay for you for making it a partnership and
not a power struggle.

That says a great deal about the relationship you have with The (former)
Boy!!

Blessings on both of you

Sally D