[Magdalen] Tightrope?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Nov 18 16:47:57 UTC 2015

In a message dated 11/18/2015 10:32:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:

"Normal  School" historically means one which trains teachers.  >>>>>>

And also in Wisconsin.  They then changed from Normal Schools  into
Wisconsin State Teachers' Colleges, and then Wisconsin State  Colleges.
Eventually  the State Legislature simply declared them all to be  branches
of the
of the University of Wisconsin System.

This was initially very unpopular in the flagship UW-Madison, but I  think
everyone has gotten used to the nomenclature.  We now have
UW-Milwaukee, UW-Superior, UW-Whitewater, UW LaCrosse,
UW-Eau Claire, UW-Stout (Menomonee), UW-River Falls, UW-Stevens
Point, UW-Green Bay, UW-Parkside (Racine), UW-Platteville, in  addition
to UW-Madison.

UW-Milwaukee presently has 28,000 students and grants graduate
degrees on its own, including masters and PhD's.

Several of the others have student bodies over 10,000.

Education is big business.

David Strang.