[Magdalen] Tightrope?

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Wed Nov 18 23:00:17 UTC 2015

No. The traditional difference here in the US is that universities grant
both undergraduate and graduate degrees, and colleges undergraduate only.
Very, very few universities in the US are made up of individual residential
colleges in the way that Oxford and Cambridge are. Yale comes to mind, and
there may be a few others. The distinction of graduate vs. undergraduate is
likely not too valid anymore, so a university these days is pretty much a
4-year or 4-year plus institution which feels like calling itself that.
There are lots of free-standing colleges in the US, many of them well-known
and of high academic standards - like Middlebury here in Vermont, which my
wife attended.

When Bridgewater State moved from College to University, the School of (for
example) Science and Mathematics was renamed the College of Science and
Mathematics. It didn't function any differently and is still simply a
collection of similar academic departments, namely Chemistry, Physics,
Biology, Geography/Geology and Mathematics.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com