[Magdalen] this morning at the Eucharist

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Nov 20 18:38:54 UTC 2015

On 11/20/15 10:54 AM, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Sibyl:   I was told not to wear blue and green together
>

> (assuming this was during your growing up years?)  Perhaps that is why
> in the 70s that color combo became SO IN YOUR FACE in clothes and home
> dec stuff... My mom was addicted!  My sister and I still talk about
> mom's addiction to that color scheme... I mostly escaped it having left
> home in '70 for college, but it lingered for decades...

I was born in l944.  I don't think it was a 50s thing, because it was
the older generation that I got it from (and the scene with my aunt was
in the 70s). Even when I was in high school, I noticed that people my
age weren't paying attention to it.  What they did pay attention to was
not wearing pink and green together, especially on Thursday.  If you
happened to do it accidentally in the morning, you got ragged about it
all day.  In the sixties, for my generation and younger, color taboos
went out the window in a day-glo sparkle: even high fashion was strongly
influenced by hippies and their color sense.

Another thing was not wearing "loud", either colors or combos.  Unless
you were a stage performer.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net