[Magdalen] "Failing" parishes--Canada vs. USA

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 20:30:45 UTC 2015

I can't speak for Alberta, but combining and closing seems to be flavour
of the month around here as we all stagger along with dwindling numbers
and revenue and too many churches in the wrong places.  Happy in our
classification of 'strategic' rather than 'unsustainable' because of the
food bank and our location in the poor part of town away from the
cluster of four others uptown, we may yet survive.  But I wonder why in
heaven's name we were issued with a Protestant priest rather than
someone more aligned with our A-C tradition.  That sure isn't helping us
grow!  We have yet to hear what has come of our approach to the only
possible uptown church whose priest unfortunately retires in January and
may, therefore, be reluctant to make a deal on the way out.

I dunno.  Maybe my blowing a gasket the other week has had an effect --
he left the prayers alone this week, including the BVM.  Or maybe, who
knows, he did speak to the bishop and she backed me up, even a little,
as the licenced lay reader.

The ways of Mother Church are passing strange.

Marion, a pilgrim