[Magdalen] Here 'tis: The Psalm passage.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 24 04:48:38 UTC 2015

I just wrote this to a friend who came across Psalm 23:4-6 in a grief devotional, and (being un-bibled from birth) wanted an explanation.  I submit the following basic explanation to everyone here for correction as need be.

*****

The Psalms are basically the ancient Hebrew hymn-book, expressing (like most hymns that have ever been popular) emotion about happy times, hopeful times, horrible times, and even downright bad attitudes (wishing they could bash the Babylonian babies' heads against rocks, bested only by the times they wished STDs on them).  The 23rd Psalm (22nd in Catholic bibles) is of the hopeful variety.  It's often subtitled "Confidence in God's grace."  Since it's only six verses, it's important to look at the whole thing.  It starts "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want [anything I need]."  It's nickname is "The Shepherd's Psalm".  Combining normal human fears with what a shepherd does, he (King David, by tradition) says he will fear no evil because he (God) is with him, "comforting" him with his rod and staff.  The shepherd's staff needs little explanation, but the rod is essentially the shepherd's walking stick, with which he'd beat off the bastard wolves or sheep thieves.  Preparing a table before him in the presense of his enemies, reminds one that the Hebrews were then in exile in Babylon, where they were treated very badly to say the least.  Anointing his head with oil is about a practice then widespread when a traveler would have that done, as the oil was fragrant and the traveler was anything but sweet-smelling upon arrival.  Cup runneth over -- no explanation necessary (hic!).

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow him all the days of his life, and he shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever (a pathetic Catholic translation from the 1940s says "for a long time") rounds out the shepherd theme via the image of human habitation:  my shepherd will comfort, protect, and keep me safe till we arrive at home where all manner of thing shall be well, and since we're talking God by the way, it'll last forever, so there.

Hope this helps.