[Magdalen] 21.5 stone...ugh

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 24 10:56:05 UTC 2015

On 24/11/2015 03:47, Jay Weigel wrote:
> I've lived in some pretty food desert-y places. When I was in college the
> closest thing was a Kroger and it was almost a mile hike from one apartment
> and a mile and a half from the next. There were some small groceries, but
> prices were high and stock was limited. Then when I was older and moved to
> a different part of town, there were small neighborhood supermarkets of the
> type that are now defunct, the kind you could walk to a couple of times a
> week that had a decent stock of meats and other goods. Those pretty much
> don't exist any more.

They do this side of the pond.  Some years back the supermarket chains
woke up to the fact that buses come into the town centre and people who
work there might want to get some groceries before heading home in the
evening.  As a result they now supplement their edge of town stores with
smaller ones in town and in the suburbs.

Roger