[Magdalen] Cane or Beet?

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 16:06:52 UTC 2015

As a chemist, I concur. Chemically, they're identical.

Whether or not jam sets has to do with how much pectin is present. Most
fruit has some pectin in it (especially when not ripe), to which one
typically adds more. So, if you have more not-so-ripe fruit present, you'll
get stiffer jam that if not, even with the same amount of added pectin. Has
happened to me.

Also, if the sugar is more finely ground, a given cup of sugar will weigh
more (more finely ground = less air and more sugar mass). A greater mass of
sugar will require more pectin to make the jam set.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com