[Magdalen] "Failing" parishes--Canada vs. USA

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:47:07 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Judy Fleener <fleenerj at gmail.com> wrote:
> There were 4 RC parishes within walking distance where I live now in
> downtown Muskegon.

We've got two within walking distance here in our Chicago neighborhood:

- St. Gertrude's, whose school is now occupied by the lower grades of
Northside Catholic Academy, supported by several parishes. At some
point the children graduate from this campus and continue at the
school of one of the other parishes.
- St. Ignatius', whose school is now occupied by the Chicago Waldorf School.

So these two "inner city" parishes are still lively sites. There are
closures and threats of closures in the Archdiocese, however. Some
years ago the parish of the Immaculate Conception (or maybe Immaculate
Heart of Mary; I can't remember) was closed but the archbishop gave
the church buildings to a new monastic establishment, and now they're
the Monastery of the Holy Cross OSB (http://www.chicagomonk.org).

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA