[Magdalen] "Failing" parishes--Canada vs. USA

Judy Fleener fleenerj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:32:04 UTC 2015

There were 4 RC parishes within walking distance where I live now in
downtown Muskegon.  They were ethnic parishes.  The German parish closed
several years ago and all the buildings torn down.  At one time all these
parishes had elementary schools and 3 had high schools.  There was an
attempt to make the French parish into an Hispanic parish but that did not
work and it is slated to be torn down.  A huge RC church was built in a
suburban area.  It was designed by Marcel Breuer and is named our lady of
the concrete., really St. Francis de Sales.

Our diocese has closed on parish in the last 20 years, that one being in
Muskegon.  They had maybe 6 or 8 people in attendance and their single
benefactor died.  The closing was not handled well by the diocese, it was
the choice of the congregation.

--
Judy Fleener, ObJN
Western Michigan