[Magdalen] Harvest

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 16:58:03 UTC 2015

Well, Jay, as a chaplain I've worked with patients on both sides of the issue, as well, and I had the privilege of observing the removal of organs from a young man who had been a patient of mine in the ICU. It was a holy time, and I was especially moved by the respect shown by the team of doctors.
But there were quite a few of us, on the staff, at least, who were always uncomfortable with the term "harvest." I'm not sure the term was ever used directly with families, and I never heard any opinion from family members. The problem with it for me is that it feels dehumanizing, since it's primarily an agricultural term. "Removal" or "retrieval" seem less that way.
Obviously YMMV.