[Magdalen] Fwd: Harvest

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 18:59:04 UTC 2015

____________________________________
 From: Cantor03 at aol.com
To: magdalen at herberthouse.org-N
Sent: 11/25/2015  1:41:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [Magdalen] Harvest

In a message dated 11/25/2015 12:02:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

Interesting to think of when/how the k in kerp/carp became  breathed as an
h.
But didn't the Greek breath mark become an initial ch  (K-sound)?
There and back  again!
-M>>>>>>>>

I've always admired the logical German language that always  pronounces
everything, including the initial "k's."  In English, of course,  they're
mostly
dropped, but you sometimes see remnants in German names.  For
example, I have a Knabe piano (ki-NA-bee).  Here in Pennsylvania  there
are so many German names, and most have been Anglicized.   There's
that amusing common name, "Hausknecht" in which some pronounce
the 'k's."  You see also Houseknecht,  Houseknight, Hausknight.

And you have our own Scott Knitter.  I've forgotten.  Do you  say
Ki-NITT-er or NIT-er, Scott?

In any case, the Hausknecht means literally, "house servant"  (English
equivalent
"knave"), for the modern German word for the English "knight"  is "Ritter."

David Strang......Whose mother tended to say DAAH-vid as in  Norwegian
and not DAY-vid as in  English.