[Magdalen] COE stuff.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 26 19:33:14 UTC 2015

I collect Catholic World News Headlines emails for future reading, and today I offer a couple articles for comment.

For Rev Roger Stokes, I'm curious about your opinion on:

[begin quote]
Church of England ad featured Lord's Prayer barred from movie theaters in England
November 23, 2015

Movie theaters in England will not allow the showing of a short public-service announcement promoting prayer, because of fears that the advertisement might offend some filmgoers.

The one-minute ad, featuring the Lord’s Prayer, was scheduled to be shown at many theaters before the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, which opens in December. But the Digital Cinema Media agency, which handles ads for the nation’s largest theater chains, declined to show the announcement, citing a policy that bans ads which ‘could cause offence to those of differing political persuasions, as well as to those of differing faiths and indeed of no faith.”

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Justin Welby, called the decision “extraordinary;” Prime Minister David Cameron termed it “ridiculous.”
[end quote]

And for everyone:

[begin quote]
Preacher to papal household addresses Anglican synod
November 25, 2015

Father Raniero Cantalamessa, the Capuchin Franciscan friar who has served as preacher to the papal household since 1980, was invited to preach a sermon at the General Synod of the Church of England on November 24.

Stating that “we should never allow a moral issue like that of sexuality [to] divide us more than love for Jesus Christ unites us,” Father Cantalamessa told the Anglican leaders gathered in Westminster Abbey that “we need to go back to the time of the Apostles: they faced a pre-Christian world, and we are facing a largely post-Christian world.”

“The Christian world is preparing to celebrate the fifth centenary of the Protestant Reformation,” he added. “It is vital for the whole Church that this opportunity is not wasted by people remaining prisoners of the past, trying to establish each other’s rights and wrongs. Rather, let us take a qualitative leap forward, like what happens when the sluice gates of a river or a canal enable ships to continue to navigate at a higher water level.”
[end quote]