[Magdalen] And so it begins...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 00:26:07 UTC 2015

In a message dated 11/26/2015 6:45:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pdan.brittain at gmail.com writes:

Interesting day this morning. Turkey had been in the oven about 1  1/2 hours
when the heating element burned out. We finished it on top of the  stove
then browned it with the broiler. Everything else warmed in the  microwave
and then briefly under the broiler to brown/crisp. Did the rolls  under the
broiler with the door part  open.>>>>>>

There were gas stoves in the Military Housing (for us: Gibbs Kaserne)
in Frankfurt/M, Germany during our years there.  We got stuck  doing
the turkey the first year in that the gas pressure gradually  diminished
secondary to everyone roasting turkey at the same time, overloading
the system.  The bird was finally done about midnight.

The next year we partially roasted the turkey starting the night  before,
allowing us to finish it on Thanksgiving morning before the gas
went down and out.

The alternative was to have friends not living in Military Housing  ("On
the Economy") roast a turkey for us.

David Strang.