[Magdalen] COE stuff.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 26 22:35:29 UTC 2015

On 26/11/2015 19:33, M J _Mike_ Logsdon wrote:
> I collect Catholic World News Headlines emails for future reading, and today I offer a couple articles for comment.
>
> For Rev Roger Stokes, I'm curious about your opinion on:
>
> [begin quote]
> Church of England ad featured Lord's Prayer barred from movie theaters in England
> November 23, 2015

I have just watched it.  Obniously I give due regard to the views of
+++Justin, Primate of All England.  That said, I believe I am closer to
the grass-roots than he is in regard to the prople I meet regularly.
With that in mind one of the first rules in considering any publicity is
"who are you trying to reach?"

One of the first things that struck me was that they were using (at
least) two different translations of the Lord's Prayer.  That makes a
mess and is unhelpful in my view.  If it is meant to be a number of
groups and individuals praying the same prayer then it should be the
same translation.  The change between "thee" and "you" jar.  I think it
would have been far better, if you were going to do this, to use one
version throughout - and my vote would have been for the modified
tradional "Our Father, who art in heaven".  That has the same cadences
in different languages.

I also know that Richard Dawkins, the noted atheist, has said that if
people are so thin-skinned as to be offended by it then that's their
problem and he has no onjection to it being screened.  Support from that
quarter raises questions in my own mind as to its effectiveness as an
advertisement.

Having said that I turn to the perverss truth that those who onject to
something draw more attention to it than it would have had without any
objections.  That is the reason I am grateful to those who objected to
thew Harry Potter novels.  Without their objections I would not have
read and enjoyed them, and appreciated their underlying Christian message.

Overall, then, my view is that the cinema chains may well have done
Christianity a service in reminding people that the Gospel we preach is
counter-cultural.  Given the apparent public antipathy to what might be
termed the consumerist and capitalist approach prevalent in the
developed world that could be used to advantage this coming Advent
Sunday - by chance a Sunday I am not preaching so I won't have that
opportunity.

Roger