[Magdalen] Season is Over.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 01:58:08 UTC 2015

The Big Ten US college football season is drawing to a close.
To many alumni/ae of one of these universities, college  football
IS the Big Ten, and then there is everything else.  During
the early years of US collegiate football in the 20's and 30's there
is a lot of truth in that concept.

Of course the league has changed over time.  For one thing, the
league now includes three USA East Coast teams (Penn State,
Rutgers, and Maryland), so it isn't just the Midwest any more.

even the lyrics of the famed "On Wisconsin" school song needed
to be changed from "Run the ball clear 'round Chicago" to "Run
the ball clear 'round the field boys" when the University of Chicago
dropped intercollegiate Big Ten football in 1933

For me, the traditional season end game pitting Minnesota against
Wisconsin is still the "Big One."  My whole family is firmly in  the
Badger camp, and that's generally true for me, too, except that
there is a little more ambivalence in that I have degrees from
both MN and WI.  Wisconsin won that game this year.

Ohio State has, once again, come out on top of the football league.

So what else is new?

David Strang.