[Magdalen] Saint Michael and All Angels.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 2 06:39:42 UTC 2015

I visited Williamsburg in the 80's I attended Choral Matins at Bruton Parish Church at 11AM and preceded that with Mass at St Bede's RC which at the time housed the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Maybe the Anglican Use church is now the national shrine. There are several shrines of various saints. Santiago de Chimayo, NM is the National Shrine of St. James. That is also the site, possibly a national shrine(g) of El Santo Nino de Atocha. This devotion predates the Infant Jesus of Prague. There is a similar devotion dear to the Filipinos. The New Mexicans have a special devotion to this particular cult of the Christ Child. The Ladies crochet booties for him because of the legend that he walks thru the mountains of New Mexico and they didn't want his feet to get cold. There is also a holy dirt associated with this shrine and another with the Shrine of St Nino in Armenia (this is not the Christ Child, it is one of the Armenian protomartyrs. Some pious folk brought back a packet of that holy dirt and shared it with the former deacon of St. Aelred when I was the pastor at the church in Atlanta (St Sergius and Bacchus is an offshoot  of that church)

That trip to Chimayo was part of a memorable week in Santa Fe where I attend 3 performances of various operas that I enjoyed immensely--one was an opera by Henze; I think Don Giovanni was one; and I forgot the third. One of my minor regrets is a return visit and I had to choose between Ballo in Maschera or Mass at the Georgia O Keefe church. I made the wrong choice; the liturgy was horrid (it hadn't been on the previous visit"

Joe