[Magdalen] this morning's trip to Whole Foods

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 19:10:57 UTC 2015

I am not a cook, never have been a cook, never aspired to cook. I was once
sent to the store for lettuce and came back with cabbage (or maybe it was
the other way around).

I do know enough, now, to buy my fresh vegetables at the open air market,
but it's the same old-same old, because I don't know (nor really care to
spend the time to know) any better. Our city has had a drastic demographic
change since Katrina. It was about 49/49/2 black/white/other, but within
the city limits, at least -- white flight rears its ugly head, again -- I'd
guess 35/45/20, now, with large pockets of Hispanic and Vietnamese
heritage. I read the bok choy sign, and admire its beauty; I see what looks
like an eggplant on a diet, and lots of root-looking things that are not
carrots, potatoes, or ginger, but have no further clue.

But, I'd go for job in a grocery only as a near last resort.

Peace,
Jo