[Magdalen] Remember Their Names

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 3 19:49:15 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/3/2015 3:24:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

No  parent should ever have to bury their  child.>>>>>

My mother had such a task when my younger brother (age 50) met his
demise from (as the bar song says) "cigarettes and whiskey and wild,  wild
women that drove him crazy, drove him insane".

It was a tremendous waste of a brilliant mind (Phi Beta Kappa/Alpha
Omega Alpha) and she mourned as long as she lived for him as have
all of us in our own way.  I can still see mother rattling her hand  on
the top of his casket at graveside as if to somehow communicate
her despair to him.  It was an awful sight.

She had a poem framed and placed in various areas of the family
home.  I got tired of seeing it and having her quote it, but as  time
passes, I relate to it and no longer find it insipid:

Miss  Me But Let Me Go
Miss  Me But Let Me Go - Unknown
When I  come to the end of the road
and the sun has set on me,
I want no  rites in a gloom filled room,
why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me  a little--but not too long,
and not with your head bowed  low,
Remember the love that we once shared,
miss me--but let me  go.
For this is a journey that we all must take,
and each must go  alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
a step on the road to  home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart,
go to the friends we  know.
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,
miss me--but let  me go.

David Strang.