[Magdalen] Related to "Yet Another Case of Race Abuse"

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Oct 4 17:10:50 UTC 2015

On 10/4/15 11:20 AM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Yesterday I was in the local grocery store. There were several groups of
> young Hispanic men also there (in bunches) buying their weekly groceries
> and chattering away in Spanish about it. I think they probably work at one
> of the local poultry processing plants. Anyway, I noticed a man about my
> age who was also shopping, who wouldn't go down any aisle if he saw the
> Hispanic guys in it. Meanwhile, I just went on down, knowing exactly what
> would happen, and of course it did. If the young men were spread out in the
> aisle, they just made a path like the Red Sea parting and smiled. "Señora,"
> they said, and I smiled and nodded and went on through. It got to be funny
> after awhile. I knew what that man didn't......that these young men had
> mothers and grandmothers back in their countries who had most likely
> brought them up right and who would likely pop them upside the head if they
> weren't polite to their elders. I hoped the man noticed, but I don't know
> if he did. What I do know is that ignorance + fear = hate.

Well, I don't know what that young man's ideas were.  When I'm grocery
shopping, I tend to avoid aisles that are clotted with any kind of
people conversing in any language (usually English, here), just to avoid
the traffic problem and avoid interrupting their conversation to let me
through, or waiting for them to notice me trying to get through, or
having to get their attention with "Excuse me".  The aisle where I have
to get something will probably be clearer later.  Quite a few Aspies, I
understand from my internet groups, will do their shopping in the wee
hours, and go through the do-it-yourself robotic checkouts, to avoid
interacting with any kind of people when possible (there are more of us
around than you might notice: the difference is that these days, we
usually know what we are, and why we do such things, and don't feel
guilty about it).

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net