[Magdalen] It Trittico Opera Stuff.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Oct 8 14:44:11 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/8/2015 10:20:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
magdalen at herberthouse.org writes:

One of  my most favorite operas. >>>>>>>

Reminds me of the story I heard at the time I served in the US Army
Medical Corps in Germany.  This may or may not be apocryphal.

At the capitulation of Germany in 1945, there was a small group of
US Army officers who were assigned the task of assessing
the wealthy Bavarians who lived in the mountains around  Berchtesgaden,
and advising them that the US Forces were now in charge of the  area.

And so it happened that the officers knocked at the door of one
Richard Strauss.  At their greeting, he simply said, "I am Richard  Strauss,
the composer of Der Rosenkavalier."  A US officer, an opera fan as  it
turned out, kissed his extended hand and murmured, "And Arabella, and
Salome, and Electra, and Ariadne Auf Naxos."

So ended the war in that part of Bavaria.

David Strang.