[Magdalen] Speaking of the Carolinas

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:19:10 UTC 2015

"You ain't from here, air ye?" The question I was routinely asked by my
patients in east Tennessee, especially when I was doing home health. That
was after I'd lived there almost 20 years. Of course when I went back to
Wisconsin I was accused of having a southern accent (they don't know from
Appalachian up there!), despite the fact that the minute I got back there I
started talking like the people I grew up with again. You just can't win. I
did, however, learn to speak a pretty creditable version of rural east
Tennessee English before I left the home health gig; after all, you do need
to speak the language of the people you serve! I took that with me when I
left there and it used to amuse my co-workers when I spoke of a "pee jug"
instead of a urinal, or said a patient was "right bound up" instead of
constipated.