[Magdalen] It Trittico Opera Stuff.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:25:03 UTC 2015

I am not paid, so I sing what I want.  Several years ago our local choir
director volunteered us for a Donizetti opera. I looked at the choir part
and found it was nothing than the old Dum ti Dum ti Dum ti Dum ti (ad
nauseam) and I never went to another rehearsal. I suppose the audience
likes it, but I want to sing something of quality, not just a rhythmic
accompaniment.

I find the only stuff that really pleases me is the early music, and some
carefully drafted music such as the Faure or Rutter requiems (or my own,
for that matter). The Brahms Deutsches Requiem is a rare exception. But
Brahms was director of choruses, and actually knew how to write for the
voice, and his music is both very thoughtful and beautiful.

I've sung the Beethoven, and I actually like it.  I think many dislike it
simply because they have a lot of trouble comprehending it.  It's not easy
reading, and most singers don't read music well (to put it kindly). I had
no idea how lucky I was to have an instructor in high school who ran us
through a very highly structured sight-singing program. I was extremely
fortunate to have that experience, and it opened a lot of doors for me that
many folks outside the conservatory don't get an opportunity to open.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford