[Magdalen] German RC bishop speaks boldly

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:56:11 UTC 2015

Good for +Koch!!

German archbishop: Church's stance on divorce makes people 'doubt God' /
http://ncronline.org/node/112096

By Joshua J. McElwee

One of Germany's representatives at the worldwide meeting of Catholic
prelates on family has pointedly told the gathering that church teaching
preventing divorced and remarried persons from receiving the Eucharist makes
people "doubt God."

Berlin Archbishop Heiner Koch has used his 3-minute address during the
deliberations to directly address one of the issues known to be creating the
most disagreement among the prelates, saying he is often asked why remarried
couples are barred from the Eucharistic table.

The church's theological arguments "do not silence the questions in the
hearts of people," Koch told the assembly.

It is interesting to see that Europe is more 'progressive' on these issues
than the U.S. is now. I must say that as things unfolded in my childhood,
this issue of divorced/remarried people played heavily in my reasons for
leaving the church in my late teens, and in an immature sense, granted, not
believing in a God with the kind of 'rules' that existed in regard to
divorced/remarried people. The irony is that over the last 40-50 years many
RC have chosen to do what they want, or in some parishes even being
counseled to act in ways not 'allowed' by 'the church'.... which as a teen
50 years ago, further confused my anger and disbelief/doubt.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr