[Magdalen] German RC bishop speaks boldly

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:07:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Lynn Ronkainen <houstonklr at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is interesting to see that Europe is more 'progressive' on these issues
> than the U.S. is now. I must say that as things unfolded in my childhood,
> this issue of divorced/remarried people played heavily in my reasons for
> leaving the church in my late teens, and in an immature sense, granted, not
> believing in a God with the kind of 'rules' that existed in regard to
> divorced/remarried people. The irony is that over the last 40-50 years many
> RC have chosen to do what they want, or in some parishes even being
> counseled to act in ways not 'allowed' by 'the church'.... which as a teen
> 50 years ago, further confused my anger and disbelief/doubt.

German and Austrian bishops seem more progressive; in the USA, I think
John Paul and Benedict made more conservative choices for new bishops.
One would think Benedict would have done so in the German-speaking
countries, but maybe he didn't have a chance. Some of the really
conservative RC sites keeping watch for what they considered heresy or
other outrages seemed to focus on Germany and Austria.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA