[Magdalen] On a humorous note

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 10 14:50:39 UTC 2015

There are various schools of thought as to music at communion.

The worst, IMNSHO, are the parishes where Communion is Little Good Friday"
instead of "Little Easter." Good Friday hymns at communion are the pits, I
think. I'm more of the joyful lampshade on the head dancing in joy communion
camp, of course -- but that's often hard to get across to a congregation.

Then there's the notion that communion hymns should be easy for the congregation
to sing without using a hymnal, because they're moving around and not carrying
books. Bread of Life fits that, though I realize the musical purists just hate
it. I sang in a choir where the other bass refused to sing it, and after awhile
finally decided to just sit and look grumpy when it was scheduled,

Another model is that of a choir concert -- gorgeous music, but in parishes
where the choir still sits in the old Morning Prayer stalls and communicants
have to pass though between them, it leaves many communicants with the uneasy
feeling they are interrupting, which is not the right state of mind for
approaching the table, I think.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie