[Magdalen] On a humorous note

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 17:21:38 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/10/2015 12:00:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I  attended a funeral where Onward, Christian Soldiers was the exit hymn.
It's  not one of my favorites for many reasons, but it was really fitting in
that  particular case.>>>>>>>>>

When Israel celebrated an anniversary of its founding, there was a
tremendous parade through Tel Aviv.  A committee cast about for
a suitable march for background music in the documentary film made
of this parade.

They stumbled upon John Philip Sousa's "Power and Glory" ("March of
the Mitten Men").  It wasn't until the documentary was playing in  theaters
all over Israel that someone pointed out that much of the march was
based on "Onward Christian Soldiers."

The documentary was hurriedly pulled, and another march substituted.

They couldn't have "With the Cross of Jesus Going On Before" on
such an occasion!

David Strang.