[Magdalen] On a humorous note

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:00:43 UTC 2015

BS. The song has meter. The silly pseudo-parody has four/four meter.
The words play with that meter, and avoid the dreadfully boring lockstep
most hymns are saddled with.
Actually the hymn is using a style in which the words are set in a pattern
much like the rhythmic sound they would make if spoken. This is a somewhat
new idea, dating from Claudio Monteverdi and his excellent student,
Heinrich Schuetz. So since it's been around for about five hundred years,
it should be no surprise that some areas of Christianity still haven't
gotten the word.

So much of Christian putative song is to music what bugle calls are to
actual music.  "I know that tone! It means we're in the fifth Sunday after
Snobby-gesima! in the season of the Unfounded Assumption!"

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford