[Magdalen] VTS Chapel,

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 10 18:18:26 UTC 2015

>I love churches that have a sanctus bell in the tower that can sound
>at these times and be audible in the church.

St MtV in NYC often confuses the unwary when the church bell rings at seemingly
odd times over Times Square <g>.

At the Celebrant's instruction ringing the Sanctus Bell as many times as it
takes at the offertory when the choir director has decided that today's anthem
will consist of the entire Wagner Ring Cycle.

A variation of the latter without the Bells was Fr. Richards of blessed memory
at St Paul's K Street once remarked to the altar party, "This Opera has gone on
long enough" walked out to the top of the chancel steps and as the choir paused
to come up for air, literally yelled, "Let Us Pray for the Whole State of
Christ's Church" and plowed right in (in the ways of the '28 BCP).

Cheers,
Jim