[Magdalen] beisbol Q?

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 18:15:37 UTC 2015

Well, much to my dismay, my grandson has decided that the sport he wants to focus on and hopefully play in high school is baseball.  I know, I know, that's heresy on this list, but I find the sport second only to golf in boring-ness!

He was playing soccer, and I had high hopes for that, because he was a very good player. But most of the really good players left the rec league for the very expensive and time-consuming travel teams, and he aged out of the rec league last year. AND there's no soccer in the middle school, so he can't prepare for the high school team.  Apparently walk-ons never make it.

 He wants to go to the Naval Academy, and he needs a sport, so baseball it is. He's taking it very seriously, doing conditioning three times a week and working with a local coach who is pretty amazing, runs batting practices and other kinds of drills for local kids, and who invited Joseph to play with his team for their last six games. So this afternoon I get to go to the second game of a double header and spend an otherwise gorgeous afternoon watching the grass gr__, er, I mean watching a baseball game! Well, at least with baseball you don't have to worry about concussions!

If anyone has a magic potion that will make baseball interesting, please send me the recipe. Otherwise, it's going to be a very long four and a half years, though I have no intention of making *all* of his games!