[Magdalen] On a humorous note

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 11 22:37:04 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 20:23, Jim Guthrie wrote:

> We has someone at Christ Church Bay Ridge who was adamant that all
> hymns be sung to their "original tunes (and vice versa, he would
> really fuss at Ton-y-botel without the "original text."
>
> So one All Saints, we sang "For All the Saint" to the tune Engelberg.
> "That's not what I meant!" the guy fumed afterwards.

That sounds rather like the churchwarden, who regularly read at Morning
Prayer, who told the incumbent that the lessons should be the original
text.  The incumbent agreed and the next Sunday suggested that the
churchwarden might like to look at the text before the sercice.  "No
need" was the response.

The vicar insisted he would prefer the warden to comply, so this was
reluctantly acceded to.  The point was made.

Roger