[Magdalen] Hymnals and Perspective.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 12 17:02:10 UTC 2015

>>>I'm kinda stumped by this harmony thing. Maybe I'm way off base, but can't
you figure it out? The harmonies always seem self-evident to me, but maybe
it's because I learned'em young.<<<

In spite of my youthful joy of harmony singing and my college choral training, for me finding the harmony naturally is doable, but because I've never had ANY formal musical training whatsoever (and I mean even as primitive as plain ol' music lessons as a kid*), the sounds and the dots on the page just never do match up comfortably.  And as a youth, my mere "lustiness" was praised with virtually nothing said about pitch, intonation, etc.  Consequently, all through college I had to work harder than the rest to participate in choir and my one semester in Chamber Singers (12 voices).  In the latter, just the knowing that I was a member only because there wasn't any other tenor available who cared to join, sure left an impression on me.  But I still cherish the memory, even though all I do now is painstakingly beat time while singing along with my 1947 Elijah.