[Magdalen] Hymnals and Perspective.o

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 14 14:35:36 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>There were reviewers in every diocese.  I was such a reviewer  for
>several years in the Diocese of Eau Claire.

Yes indeed -- it was not created out of some dark place by those evil big-city
organists <g>. But I hasten to add that like the Rectors who refused to go
through the BCP revision process in their parishes and left their congregations
distraught over the results when bishop s required the 1979 BCP, some of those
same guys also ignored the work toward the new hymnal. In the latter case,  many
of them seem to have been in parishes where use of hymns beyond the local
"Top-40" caused "Pastoral Problems (i.e. the Rector is as lazy as they come and
the organist doesn’t have to do much work. either <g>), finding that some of
their favorites were missing "Once to Every Man and Nation" or Grand Isle for
"Ancient of Days") and left a bad taste in the mouths of congregants they had
deliberately left ignorant.

Cheers,
Jim:

Cheers,