[Magdalen] Hymnals and Perspective.o

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 23:31:49 UTC 2015

As one who was confirmed in 1960 and was accustomed to a more or less "high" Methodist Sunday morning service that was quite similar to MP (Sunday and Wednesday eves were more evangelical-flavored), I still miss corporate MP.  "Evensong" is nice, but where I've encountered it, it has more a flavor of choral performance than of corporate worship.  No complaint from me about the Eucharist as the principal service but I believe we lost something significant when we stopped praying MP and EP in congregation.

I know younger people in my parish who have never in their lives been in a congregate offering of MP or EP, and some of them haven't even read through the texts in the '79 BCP.  Their loss, IMO.

These same younger people are better acquainted with Compline than with EP.  Figure that!

Don in Austin