[Magdalen] Kimchi pickle review.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 15 18:15:10 UTC 2015

>>>Along similar lines, a question from colleagues at our office who are
following this conversation with interest on the sidelines...

Do you have to sterilise the pickling jars?

Ours have plastic lids that can't be heated (though the jar is glass and
can take heat). So if you do have to sterilise can you use
Milton/Sterilising fluid?<<<

Charles and Molly hit on this yesterday pretty well.  Lacto-fermentation is such that the good bacteria overpower the bad bacteria, making -- at least for such projects as my pickles -- no need for sterilization.  I, in fact, simply bought some quart jars of pickled veggies, transferred the contents to another container, rinsed the jars out with hot water, and let them drain upside-down in the dish rack before adding the cucumbers and screwing on the lids.