[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 15:28:47 UTC 2015

I caught a portion of the PBS presentation of the Kern/Hammerstein  musical
play, "Show Boat" last night.  This was a concertized version, with
orchestra
and singers on stage together.  Norm Lewis sang the theme song of  the
musical play, "Old Man River."  He was interviewed in a little  documentary
at the conclusion, and allowed that he was tense but exhilarated to  sing
this song "because everyone knows it."

Is this so?  Is it likely that many under, say, 60, are familiar with  this
song or the several other big numbers from the musical?

The popular movie of the musical was in 1951.  The play dates from  1927.

The other revivals strike me as not having a widespread impact.

David Strang.