[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 17 18:32:06 UTC 2015

David,

Show Boat is among the musicals that are now considered worthy of the operatic stage. I am like Mike, that at first blush I can only think of Old Man River. I just bought the last edition of Kobbés Complete OPera Book (1997) and Lord Harewood specifically mentioned that he did not include any of these works for lack of space (the book now has 500 entries). It is usually considered the first of the modern musicals. I don't think there are many bass baritones who don't have that song in their repertory. So I think it qualifies as a modern classic and I should watch a version. Oddly enough I can think of MANY songs from Porgy and Bess that is only 10 years later--but it IS considered an opera.
Once you see the full production (we had one in Atlanta that was marvelous) you KNOW it is an opera.

I can remember when I was doing musicals in my first parish and our first deacon was also the producer. we were going over musicals to produce for the next season. We  had settled on "Roberta" (in 1974 or so) We were advised that the powers that be were considering a revival on Broadway and we would not be allowed to perform it in community theater.
I know which musicals we did; but I don't remember what became our "second choice" for Roberta It may have been Music Man because our later performances were Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof--They did one more production after I left (I forget which) and then the same troupe did Sound of Music at my next parish and I joined the staff at the following where we had performances in which I participated but was not the music director.