[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Oct 17 18:56:49 UTC 2015

On 10/17/15 12:02 PM, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> David, many of these 'classic' musicals live on in theatrical
> productions around the country in 'small scale' community theatre groups
> and in my area in the High Schools... Throughout the greater Houston
> area HS put on musicals every year in the winter, and some of them are
> huge productions. They are typically many of the 'standards'  from the
> '50s and '60s, so I would guess that much of this music is still
> recognizable in certain quarters.

Yup, when I was in HS, admittedly in the late fifties (Class of 61) we
did, one per year, Carousel, Oklahoma!, The King and I, Annie Get Your
Gun.  A few years later, I played the wizard (in drag, of course) when
my daughter was Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.  Last year, Community
Theatre did Annie (the other Annie): my granddaughter was in it. etc.
You might actually know the boy who shaved his head, Yul Brynner style,
for the King of Siam -- he grew up to sing Opera, and moved to
Pennsylvania, Mike Riley.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net