[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 21:08:40 UTC 2015

To my knowledge most high schools I've known to produce musicals in MI, Syracuse and Houston area pay and maki it widely known that they have to do so. Tickets at the 3 high schools in my district all charge $12 a ticket for theater and sporting events. Seniors over 60 can apply for a free pass for all
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 17, 2015, at 3:07 PM, Jim Guthrie <jguthrie at pipeline.com> wrote:
>

> Yup, when I was in HS, admittedly in the late fifties (Class of 61) we did, one per year, Carousel, Oklahoma!, The King and I, Annie Get Your Gun.  A few years later, I played the wizard (in drag, of course) when

I suppose the biggest drag on doing these shows at the high school level is that the copyright owners want their $$$$.

Don’t know if they still do it, but the royalty people, finding out a high school was doing a play or a musical without securing the rights, would send a shocking-sized bill to the local school board -- usually far more than the actual royalty had it been paid up front.

Cheers,
Jim