[Magdalen] Gerrymandering was Canada's election

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue Oct 20 15:55:57 UTC 2015

On 10/20/15 10:10 AM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Sibyl, if you don't think it's gerrymandering, you ain't seen
> Virginia.....especially the Virginia 2nd. The whole thing has been ordered
> redrawn.

Some of it is gerrymandering.  But the reason for the numbers instead of
place-names is so that places can be redistricted, made "frequently"
necessary by population shift.  The scare-quotes around "frequently" is
for the long-term.  During my life, living in the same place for most of
it, in Kansas, I've lived in at least three different congressional
district numbers.  Never moved out of Shawnee Township, Cherokee County,
except for three or four years when I was married and we were going to
different colleges and frequently moving.  But I'm 71 years old, and my
experience in politics only covers about 50 years.

I think Scott was speaking for the whole US, rather carelessly, when
basically he was talking about Chicago, and other
high-population-density machine-politics areas.

I ain't Urban!

I do know that Chicago is notorious for the gerrymandering, with the
machine politics, but the Pendergast machine never got that powerful in
rural Kansas.  Take a look at the nice neat map at
http://www.unityparty.us/kansas-senators-representatives.htm

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net