[Magdalen] health care...

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:03:13 UTC 2015

just another turbulent topic in the news... Health Care..

What do you folks think about all the recent (several years now) information
that decades of cancer treatments have been ineffective in far broader ways
than the general public was aware, 'discoveries' about the need for less
mammograms/pap smears, , etc, etc, etc... For me this has translated into
what my insurance company will allow based on US Government *guidelines*...
and I am beginning to become a bit cynical about how much more the
government is going to 'discover'  that will affect insurance coverage.

I'm already waiting for my annual exam to see how it is 'billed'. A friend
told me that her one annual exam this year (a few months ago) was billed as
two (one covered by insurance, one not covered but shifted to her
pay-to-reach-deductable category). Her regular exam, considered
'preventative' (a big huge tenant of the National Health Program Umbrella),
turned into a second visit as well when the doctor ordered several
diagnostic blood tests along with the 'preventative blood work'.  She was
billed  for a partial payment on her preventative visit and billed the whole
shebang on the diagnostic 'visit'.... Doctor's office stood by the way the
insurance company looked at it and she had a $150. doctor  bill for the
ordering of one blood test.

Makes me wonder if one could just find out from the doctor ahead of time
that this blood work would be 'needed', take care of it on ones own at a
local lab and then provide the doctor with the results... AND if that would
save the additional visit bill for diagnostic, what are we saying about
continuality of care in this whole mess?  As we muck about dissing
'socialized medicine' we're creating something less stable and more
unwieldy, and still the principles are making $$$ up the wazoo, or maybe
it's just the insurance companies making any *real* money these days.

Am I becoming paranoid here?  Will the government start deciding who/what
can get the kind of treatment a doctor would have heretofore have
recommended?  Were all these 'steps', some of which have had phase-in plans
from the start, intended to cause profit only?    And don't get me started
about the Medicaid info I read the other day (which I'm counting the 2 years
+ less than a month till I qualify)  which sounded like if I collect SS at
66 I might have to pay $350. a month for Medicaid?? (and it didn't sound
like a supplement would defray *this* part of the cost).

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr