[Magdalen] Gerrymandering was Canada's election

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue Oct 20 18:37:00 UTC 2015

Yes, gerrymandering is a power play, a political tactic usable and used
by either party when it's in power at the time and can get away with it.

Redistricting, however, is a simple, practical necessity that's
occasionally needed to keep districts in parity with each other in the
number of votes. Our most recent redistricting happened when we were
reduced from five to four representatives, and our districts were
therefore reduced from five to four, and needed to be redrawn.
Redistricting _should_ result in simple, neat lines on the map.  When it
doesn't, then it's gerrymandering.

I'm not arguing with anybody on the desirability and nature of
gerrymandering.  What I started with was Scott's post in which he
implied that they were synonymous, which they almost are, but with
different characteristic results on the maps.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net