[Magdalen] health care...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 14:09:13 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/21/2015 9:02:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

In team  practice, everybody's up to date on their CEs ... or else. And they
can  count on excellent office support, without the bother of hiring,
training,  firing, a huge task for physicians in private practice. (In some
ways  medical schools, like seminaries, do not train for the crappy but very
real  demands of the job).>>>>>

Actually, a medical professional MUST keep up nowadays with his/her
CME's because a certain number (varies by state ) are necessary for
licensure.  Only maybe 5% are asked to provide evidence of  completion
of this requirement every year, but if they catch you deficient, it's your
license.

I've done my CME's via a program from Johns Hopkins for years.   It's
not cheap, but it is convenient and doable on line.

The big deal right now in the medical workplace is the required  conversion
to electronic medical record-keeping.  This was actually imposed on  the
private sector (the government sector like the VA did this all years  ago)
some years ago, but due to complaints the authorities kept extending  it
until this year.

My own primary provider, an internist, got caught up in all
this.  He was in practice with a PA (his son) and kept postponing  the
electronic conversion until the end.  Then he realized it  would cost his
little
practice about $75,000 for computerization.  As a result, he has now  joined
the Lehigh Valley Hospital Group on a salaried basis, and they do all  the
electronics.  In the process, he has taken a substantial pay  cut.

It isn't just the big beer companies that have gobbled up their
competitors.
Here in NE Pennsylvania, we are pretty much down to three medical
provider groups - The Lehigh Valley; the Geisinger Clinic, and  Commonwealh
Health.

It's the same all over.  In Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where I practiced  for
twenty years, it's the Marshfield Clinic and the Mayo Clinic.  The  private
sector (the "mom and pop" practices) are otherwise gone.

David Strang.