[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Oct 23 17:47:53 UTC 2015

Thank you for this, David!  Almost all the music is "standards" for me,
and I can hear the songs in my head at any time that I like, but my LP
is long since unplayable for me, and I ordered a cd from Amazon.com, by
the "London Studio Cast", whatever that is.  It came today, and I'm
enjoying it like crazy.  "In my head" or singing it myself just is not
the same as hearing professional singers with my ears!

One disappointment, however, is "Ol' Man River".  :o(  The singer is
Inia Te Wiata, apparently a Maori.  He's a fine singer, of course, but I
have the feeling that the key's been moved up a tone or three from the
magnificent bass that I hear in my head, and he just doesn't have the
accent quite right for the American Southern Negro (though he tries)
that I hear in my head.  The tempo's too fast, too.  It just doesn't
have the right feel.

Fish gotta swim, and birds gotta fly,
I gotta love one man till I die!
Can't help lovin' that man of mine.

Marlys Watters and Don McKay have "Only Make Believe" nailed solid. (to
my taste).  It puts me right into trance.

But I wonder who sings Ol' Man River to perfectly suit me? Paul Robeson?
  Now I've got a temptation to buy another recording  :o(

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net