[Magdalen] How to view Presiding Bishop Installation Service

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 05:55:35 UTC 2015

Not TEC either but I am Anglican, have a Bishop, +Bethlehem Nopece, as well
as an Archbishop, ++Thabo Makgabo; and I love and value both of these godly
men.

People who don't like the principle of Apostolic succession etc have many
egalitarian churches and religions to choose from and good luck to them.
I've tried a few of those myself and don't like them much, finding them not
to be free of powerr struggles. People may also have done with organised
religion altogether -  a position I well understand, but not one that we in
South Africa can easily afford.

Not everyone like what Bishops do, and not all Bishops deserve respect
(though I haven't yet met that kind). But the structure of authority and of
the Diocesan system works for us in many practical ways, and these leaders
have, over time, had significant national impact that would not have been
the case had they not had the leadership status that they do. Our South
African bishops have also, over the years, led the way in ecumenism and
promoting tolerance of other faiths, though there is still far to go with
that.

We just saw the potential impact of prominent Anglican leaders in the UK's
Upper House where two former Archbishops - very different men - combined to
lead something of a revolt against anti-family neocon legislation. Their
leadership has impacted the lower house as well spurring something of a
backbench revolt against this arrogant Cabinet. No other member of the
House of Lords could have done that, I suspect, because unlike most of
their Lordships the Lords Spiritual are widely known and respected.

Our South African Archbishops have played a significant role in promoting
spirituality and social justice and they still do - most recently
lending headway along with other religious leaders to an unexpected wave of
public support for our students who are protesting unaffordable fees. This
was in the face of a lacklustre mainstream media who were busy constructing
the same-old narrative familiar from the apartheid era - them and us,
people wanting something for nothing, mindless violence of black people
blah blah fishpaste.

We pray for both our Metropolitan and our Diocesan Bishop every time we say
the Prayers of the People together, and we honour them, and if that's
sheeplike and docile then so be it. For us that shepherd's crook still
means something real and important.

Sally D