[Magdalen] How to view Presiding Bishop Installation Service

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 25 22:11:57 UTC 2015

On 25/10/2015 17:27, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
> Presbyterian or not, it's anti-Biblical Church, and Presbyterians are
> supposed to pay extreme attention to the Bible, last I noticed.
> Paul's letters define the importance and core function of Bishops to
> the whole church.  Priests are just "Elders" in the Bible, and
> Presbyterians don't do Priests, either.  They just do Presbyters...?

Priest derives etymologically from presbyter.  This derives from the
Greek for "older man" so elder, priest and presbyter are all closely
related.  Some denominations presumably dislike the term "priest"
because of its overtones of the sacrificial priesthood and the RC
concept of the priest offering the sacrifice of the mass.  Becaise
"episkopos" simply means "overseer" it doesn't have similar negative
connotations.

Just for the record the United Methodist Church in the USA also has
bishops for those holding a particular role within that Church. However
when they leave that role they are no longer called "bishop" but revert
to being simply a presbyter.  Ordination as a presbyter in that
tradition is permanent, just as Anglicans recognize the permanence of
Orders as distinguished from the role one has at a particular time.

It is also wrong to refer to the impending consecration of Bishop
Michael Curry.  He was consecrated nishop back in June 2000 following
the confirmation of his election as Bishop of North Carolina.  Within
the Orthodox, RC and Anglican traditions there is no further progression
in the sense of Orders even if a bishop subsequently moves to a "higher"
post such as Archnishop or Presiding Bishop.  They are translated to
that new position.

Roger

Roger