[Magdalen] How to view Presiding Bishop Installation Service

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 26 00:03:06 UTC 2015

Roger, unless something has recently changed in US Methodist polity that I don't know about, bishops in that denomination remain bishops for life. There is no "first among equals" who is entitled to speak for bishops or the denomination as a whole, but all the bishops sitting as a "Council of Bishops" do at time opine upon social issues.  A quadrennial General Conference made up of all the bishops plus lay and presbyteral delegates elected from "annual conferences" (think dioceses) makes decisions on changes in doctrine or polity.   Upon retirement some bishops take up seminary teaching roles or other ministries but they are still called bishops. (I think [but cannot claim to be certain] that at least one strain of Lutherans in the US elect bishops (whose role is purely administrative) for a term certain, after which they return to pastoral/parish ministry and are no longer called bishops.)   As I believe I've said before, the United Methodist Church of today is far more conservative in theology and expression of social conscience than it was in my father's day.