[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 27 22:24:42 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>Well, whether I'm supposed to judge or not, I think this is outrageous. Seven
>years for taking a man's life...

Are you outraged because seven years is way more than typical sentences under
the circumstances, or outraged because you think she's special and needs far
more punishment than others?

Vehicular homicide and related most always get off with a fraction of a sentence
for other kinds of homicides. There are situations -- say the second or third
one where they put someone away for 10-15 years. It's overly cynical to suggest
it's because she's a woman or was a bishop or some such snark I've seen in posts
on this thread.

Unless there's a provision in the sentence, I would guess she'll be eligible for
parole in 2 1/2 year or so.

Just like anyone who drives a private auto benefits from considerable subsidies
(an unconscionable amount from poor people), drivers get deals on things we
think of as crimes..

Jim Guthrie